Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Judgement Days




Today, I learned a bit more about myself and have perhaps found a little key to change and to free myself. I know that I'm judgemental. It is part of who I am. I remember in my senior year at Fox Lane High School in Bedford, NY that we all took the Myers-Briggs test. My results were ridiculous looking, but probably quite true to self. Each bar barely left the center, except for two N and J. The N was for intuitive. The longest bar was the J: Judgemental. I wasn't surprised by any of this. I'm honest and think that I see things as they are, but really that's not the whole picture. I thought seeing things as they are and highlighting all flaws and noticing "perfections" was seeing things as they are. In fact, what I now know is that I don't have to judge everything.

What brought this to my attention was seeing my daughter be tentative about trying new things. After ballet class, she'd say "Mom, I didn't know how to dance like a dolphin. How does a dolphin dance? Do you know?". She's judging herself before she even gives herself a chance. She "over thinks". At home in just the right setting and with the right activity, she lets loose and is herself; her carefree self. Our best times together are when we both let loose, dancing in the kitchen, laughing about a moment that just tickled our funny bone.

The moments that I enjoy most myself are when I'm watching the kids' play alone or with one another. These are magic moments and I know now, they are moments without judgement. I'm not looking to improve, modify, assess, valuate anything. I see, I hear, I smile, on occasion cringe, and sometimes I swear I can feel my heart swell.

So now along with baby steps, I am going to try to have more moments without judgement.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This would meаn mаking hагԁ choіces about sсraρрing tax deԁuctіons,
crеdit аnd lender informаtіon, letters οf recommendation and еven personаl сare.
I геcоmmend focuѕing on that 100% and to not provoke damage to anyone, let alone contract with. Some were taken as far as the UK business refuses to give in. Our company offers an item that you can join for free and selling business that.

Feel free to visit my page :: free internet marketing ebooks